These are unedited transcripts and may contain errors.

NIR /NRO reports
18 October 2013
9 a.m.

NICK HYRKA: Before we start, I also want to give a shout out to the home base, our folks back in Amsterdam who are keeping the engine running.

Good morning, everyone. We are going to start. We have got at least a good full first hour and then the second ?? I mean, the last half hour will be dedicated to elections if we are on time. One of the elections is the NC elections and as of 8:45 this morning you are able to pick up ballots outside and vote for one of the three candidates. And that's going to fill one seat for the RIPE NCC service region the number resource organisation number Council. The winning candidate will begin a three year term from 1 January 2014. And the vote will go continue up until 10:45. The candidates' biographies are online, so you can go to the RIPE 67 website.

Let's begin the first session of the final day of RIPE 67. This is the NRO/RIR reports, I am Nick Hyrka, welcome all you blurry?eyed people. Thank you for coming. Hi out to the people following by remote participation. First up, we'll have Geoff Huston who will give the update for APNIC.

GEOFF HUSTON: Thanks, Nick. How long have I got? Less than ten minutes. So to add a small amount of drama to an otherwise mundane morning, let me share a little secret with you, I have never seen this slide back before in my life. I have no idea how many slides are in it and I have been told I have nine minutes or less. So, we'll begin.

Wow, our vision is there on the right about global open stable secure Internet that serves the Asia Pacific community, I assume that means the world as well, and what we do is on the left, serving members, supporting development and collaboration and of course internal corporate support.

Info graphics are very fashionable these days, everyone has one and we felt left out if we didn't have one as well. That's our little role in the scheme of things, that circle there, that talks about the Internet community, the Asia Pacific community, and of course APNIC members.

We still are working hard to make sure that we are trustable, neutral and accurate in our registry services. We spend a fair deal of time trying to make sure that we have got our registry completely accurate as far as we can tell. We also spend a lot of time on training and supporting services, and of course we do a fair deal of work with critical infrastructure, in particular in DNS route services and reverse DNS services within the region.

As you all know, we ran out of v4 on the 19th April, 2011, and since then we have been allocating a maximum of 1,000 addresses to applicants; everyone can apply once and only once and that's for the rest of life. So this is the number of delegations per month coming out of that last /8. At this rate, the block will last until around 2025.

As you notice there, the monthly rate at the moment is somewhere between 100 and 140 such allocations per month, and that's relatively consistent.

The address transfer area has been relatively quiet. There aren't that many of them. You will see it at that URL at the bottom. We run a needs?based transfer policy at this particular point in time. So you need to get pre?approval based on your need and if you wish, you can list your need anonymously on a board to see if folk want to sell to you. We also list brokers, and there are five who have been registered so far. We also have a public transfer log so all transfers are logged. A decision that was taken and implemented this year is that transfers incur a registration fee which is levied at 20% of the transferred block's annual fee. We will invoice the recipient or if the source or the source if it's going to be transferred out of the region. Who pays is up to the two parties involved.

Inter?RIR transfers: So far since November, we have completed 11 and they have all been from ARIN to APNIC. And it generally takes us between one and two weeks to complete. It says here they successfuley transferred a live network as distinct from a dead one I suppose. Well done. And if you look very closely at the extent of the stats reports, you may find as stuff gets moved around there are some slight overlaps due the differing publication times. That's a graph for the number of transfers we do per month and as you see it's kicking around between 6 and 8 per month. It's hardly a massive amount of activity, just a low background.

Cumulative IPv6 delegations of /32s. Interest picks up, but a /32, if you get a /21 that's a lot of them, so this is just the equivalent number of /32s, not the actual number of assignments that we make. And here is the number of tonne news system number delegations. We don't do the same numbers of AS numbers as the RIPE NCC or ARIN. For some reason the number of AS that is we hand out is proportionately extremely small, so so far we have handed out just a little under 2,000 of the 4 bytes and a little over 9,000 of the 2 byte numbers.

In WHOIS, we have had a geolock and language attributes if you wish to fill them out and we are also doing who was, and we are working with other RIRs on the WEIRDS protocol for restful WHOIS services.

We went and got ISO 9000 certified. And we support the Asia Pacific region. We do a fair amount of training, as you see there.

Policies we have implemented. We have implemented needs?based requirements in transfers, removed the multi?homing requirement for IPv6 portal assignments, which seem to be a bit anomalous. And we have got consensus on prop 105, the distribution of returned IPv4 address blocks, AS number transfer policy proposal and changes to the policy development process.

We also do a foundation programme with the assistance of the in Canada where we fund various small projects so economies throughout the Asia Pacific area and so far we have funded 1.2 million to 38 projects in those economies. We have also joined with AfriNIC and LACNIC in a larger project and through that alliance, some 175 million Australian dollars over three years.

The meetings we had this year, in Singapore. If you came to China you had a very unusual time but it was a lot of money no matter what. It was a memorable destination and the Terracotta Warriers were pretty cool.

Collaborating with the Internet community. There is a slide about what we do at labs. We draw lots of pictures and generates lots of graphs and more pictures and more graphs.

You should know much of this, we collaborate with the various ISOC and ICANN folk. Within our region, we work with PITA, PTC, I have no idea what ACC means, but we collaborate with them. Someone can tell me.

Governmental. APECTEL is one of the bigger ones, Asia Pacific cooperation region. We do a lot with ITUD, the regional development arm of the ITU, and we are struggling along with the OECD to work on a paper that's been going on for a couple of years on the issues around IPv6 adoption.

Everyone is gearing up to go to the IGF. After IGFs all over the place this year there is one in Bali, which is a global one, happening next week.

And there is a pretty slide about it. On the other hand, if you haven't bought a ticket yet, you are really going to be rushing because it's on next week.

Where are we going next? We are going to Bangkok at the end of February. It will be hot, hotter than here, and possibly wetter. And in August, probably the last week of August, APNIC 38 will be held in Noumea, and, in a masterpiece of planning, we have already planned the 2015 meeting in a very nice town called Fukuoka in the south of Japan. There aren't any questions, are there? Thank you very much.


CHAIR: Thank you Geoff. I guess you have spoken before.

Next up will be Aaron Hughes from the ARIN board of trustees representing ARIN. Aaron from ARIN.

AARON HUGHES: Good morning, I have got some more graphs for you as well just like Geoff Huston only this is from a slightly different region.

2013. 2013 the focus for the ARIN region has been primarily on IPv4 depletion as well as IPv6 up take. We have been working on developing, adopting and enhancing processes and procedures, certainly related to primarily IPv4 count down and the plan. We are currently in phase of our four phase plan for run out. We have been continuing IPv6 outreach and trying to make it was as easy and facilitate the community as possible.

We have got a whole bunch of development related to the ARIN online system so, there is been a lot of tools developed in some migration of some billing systems, enhancements nor the whole of the ARIN online portal and supporting tools facing or members.

There is been some continued development from migration of legacy system so that's primarily been going from an old oracle database to a new host system and a whole bunch of effort to RPKI.

And we have also been heavily participating in Internet governance.

So we are currently ?? that's only slightly out of date, we are at 1.73 /8 equivalents left of v4 resources. We have about four equivalents of a /16 in the return or revoked held bucket. Just some space that's marked as it needs to be held for various reasons, abuse or reformation, etc..

We have a /10 reserved for the purpose of facility take IPv6 adoption. And a lovely graph to go along with it. This is the last 12 months of assignments and allocation requests and it's looking pretty stable, somewhat up and to the right.

V4 address space issued in the last 12 months, you can see that it is going up a bit in August no surprise there, number of 24s, up and to the right.

IPv6 address space issued also up and to the right, I wish it was slightly higher in 2012, I'm not sure what happened there but I think people fell asleep and decided they had enough, but it should be going up and to the right as well, hopefully people will start requesting for v6 resources.

V4 versus v6 subscribers, there is a few questions in the region about what this looks like, about half the people have v4 only, about half the people are, well almost half the people are requesting both v4 and v6 and then there is a small percentage, about 6 percent that are requesting v6 openly, which is offal. Hopefully that piece of pie starts growing.

Inter?RIR transfers, most of the stuff as Geoff mentioned, there are 18 total transfers that have gone from ARIN to the APNIC region. This is needs?based transfer policy, so, all transfers have gone to single RIR.

Policy proposals on the docket. We have been cleaning up the RIR principleses, basically moving around language from between 2050 and the mission statement and the number resource policy manual. So this has been actively worked on for the last several months to clean up the principles. There is a policy on the docket for allocation of v4 and v6 address space out of region. Some discussion related to whether or not where a resource should be used if it's acquired within a specific region. That was a lively conversation last week at the ARIN meeting in Phoenix.

And we had another lively conversation about the merge of v4 ISP and end?user requirements, I expect there'll be a lot more conversation on list about that one. There is not a lot of consensus in the room. I know Scott Lybrand is around if you have any questions about that.

Public facing development efforts. We have done a lot this year. We have hosted RPKI since September of 2012. The RPKI uptake in the ARIN region, I think, as Geoff put it, is horrifying, it's nice and slow in our region for some reason, but it's at least you can see the numbers there, 1541 ROAs. We have developed a web?based delegated RPKI as of February. Integrated the payment system into the online portal. We now have a little more data in the statistics report with other RIRs. We have got a lovely fee calculator. And we have automated invoicing. What we are working on now is up/down RPKI interface, and again, that legacy conversion from oracle to postgres as well as automating transfers.

Upcoming meetings: We have next meeting in February at Atlanta Georgia, NANOG 60. We have got a public policy consultation, and the next ARIN?only meeting is in April of 2014 in Chicago. Questions? Line up at the microphones... fantastic. Thank you very much.


CHAIR: Thanks, Aaron, for ARIN.

Next up we have got the LACNIC update and we have Luisa Villa and we welcome you.

LUISA VILLA: Hi, good morning, everyone. My name is Luisa Villa, I work at LACNIC as the customer manager, and this morning I would like to give you an update on what's going on in Latin America. The topics that we are going to be covering today will be a little bit of the update of the growth of the membership, the growth of the allocations and assignments. Some interesting information about resource certification, I want to talk about three programmes we have, Teredo, Ayitic and Certiv 6. I'm going to be giving a bit of update about RIPE Atlas Ambassador, I'd like to mention what happened in our previous meeting and what's going to happen in our next meetings.

So far as of September 30th, we have 3,212 members. During the past years we have been growing approximately like 600 members per year and it seems like we are going to continue with this trend this year.

Of course, more members means that we are giving away allocations which means that our pool of IPv4 is going down at the moment, as of October 16th we have in, 8 /8s. We are more or less assigning like one?and?a?half /8 per year. And we are doing okay with the IPv6 allocations. Around 40% of the allocation that is we do every month are for IPv6, which leads up to have 57 .5 percent of our members already with IPv6. Last year we gave like 578 IPv6 allocations and it seems that this year we are going to be giving around the same amount of allocation, or closely.

At the moment, we have a little bit over of 1,000 pre?six signed of RPKI, which represents close to 80,000 /24 blocks. And I would like to explain a little bit why we could see that huge peak in September in that is due to an effort that we did with partnership with two companies on the one side we worked with an IXP in Equador, we wanted to find a partner where we could find like a bunch of ISPs together, so we worked with them, we present this idea of deploying RPKI on the IXP and they liked the idea, we met with them, we tried to find out what is that they needed, so we could implement. And we find out that we needed like some upgrade of the equipment and we needed so like some training, so we have as with another partnership with Cisco, that they help us to get this together and then at the end of this, we ended with a three day event and on the last day, we have like the ROA party where at the beginning of that day, we had more or less like 5 prefixes signed and then at the end of the day we had like 277. So, that's like why you could see that huge peak on the graph.

We are willing to repeat this again. We have not really identified another party to do it but it is something that we would like to replicate.

About a work programmes. We are still doing the FRIDA programme, it is a financial aid that it has like three different parts, one is the FRIDA awards for existing projects and then we have the FRIDA grant for further research, and the FRIDA escalating projects like to contribute to the growth and replication of successful projects in the region.

Since 2012, FRIDA is still part of the seed alliance, along with ISIF from APNIC and FIRE from AfriNIC.

This is a new programme that we did this year. Last year, we had over LACNIC Caribbean meeting in Haiti, and we were able to see that there was a huge gap in the training in Haiti, and in Latin America in general between the countries, you could see a huge difference in the development on penetration of the Internet among those countries. So we decided to create a training programme to build the capacities for the technicians and people working in the ICTs in Haiti. Specifically, assign further needs, and we did the first addition, we were able to do it thanks to the collaboration of all our sponsors. We had a participation of 100 attendees, it took place in August and we are willing to continue with this capacity building programme next year.

A picture with all our attendees.

Certiv 6 is another project that we launched this year. We created this project to try to create awareness of IPv4 depletion with our ?? a different publically we were talk before and the awareness of IPv6. Certiv 6 is the methodology to be used by software testing and Internet technology experts to certify that the software application runs properly over IPv6. This year, we had three launches: one in Uruguay, Columbia and Argentina. We have already our first certifiers. If you would like more information, you can visit our website or contact me or send us an e?mail.

We became, as I mentioned it before, a RIPE Atlas Ambassador. We just gave away recently three probes to Venezuela, Trinidad and Aruba, and we took more with us to take to our next meeting and distribute it there with our members.

Our previous meeting took place in Columbia. It was held back?to?back with LAC TLD. In our policy forum we were discussing three proposals. One of them reached consensus, it was about modifying some requirements for the ASO AC nominees. It was already been ratified by the board of directors and it's already published in our policy manual. During that meeting we also held the elections for the ASO/AC, and [] Huereba from Cuba was elected.

We would like to invite you to our coming meeting that will take place in
Kusowo in two weeks. It's going to be held back?to?back with LACNOG, we are going to have speakers, tutorials, IPv6, DNSSEC, RPKI, Internet governance and more. At this time, we are going to be discussing five proposals. One is the third time that it's been presented, is the eliminate the use of the term "dial up," as simple as it says, it has been discussed a lot and they cannot come to an agreement of what other term to use. So a Working Group was implemented to review this proposal and we hope that this time we can get to an agreement. The other proposal is also the third time but it's going to be discussed into the policy forum is the inter?RIR IPv4 address transfers. The other two times the community was really divided about if this should be implemented or not. Let's see what happens on the third discussion. Then we have the first proposal going to the policy for the ?? forum for the first time, which is that policy information on reassigned IP address blocks via FTP. The second proposal is of this year, is principles governing the distribution of number resources. This is to take away all the references of the RFC at 2050 and just create like a paragraph at the beginning of the policy document, like describing the principles. And then the last one adapting the allocation /assignment policy for IPv4 exhaustion. What is suggested is that we should duplicate the reserves that we have for the IPv4 exhaustion. At the moment, we have one /12 for a soft landing and one /12 for new members, and this proposal is suggesting that we get one /11 for soft landing, one /11 for new members and it's also making sure that we can still give allocations ?? assignments for critical infrastructure.

And that's all. I will be happy to take questions if there are any. Thank you.


CHAIR: Thank you, Luisa. Almost stopped listening after
Kusowo. We move on to the NRO Executive Council update. This is Axel Pawlik.

AXEL PAWLIK: Good morning, thank you for coming this early on the Friday morning as usual; you are the tough guys. I'm the Treasurer in this, on this morning of the NRO Executive Council, the NRO, the number resource organisation, you might have heard about it previously. It's a vehicle for RIR cooperation. Many, many years, I think about ten years ago, we said we would like to slightly formalise our corporation as RIRs, we would like to state that we would want to protect unallocated address pool. Of course promote the industry, self?regulation and multi?stakeholder model wasn't quite there at the time, of course we would do that, we are doing this. Basically act as a focal point in the RIR system for people who want to talk to us at the same time in terms of global policies and the like and take the opportunity to realign ourselves and that with ICANN and fulfil the role of the ICANN Address Supporting Organisation, the ASO.

So, we have an executive committee that those roles rotate every year. Currently, Paul Wilson is the Chair. The other secretary, John and Raoul are on holidays, and at the end of the year that whole thing changes. Our secretariat is hosted by AfriNIC, it will move our way next year. We do an experiment, we have Herman as the executive secretary, he is hosted by APNIC, by the NRO to work for all of us full?time.

Like I said, it's the Address Supporting Organisation, incarnation. The NRO Numbers Council acts as the ICANN ASO Address Council. We are recognised under the ICANN by?laws to oversee global number resource policy work that goes to all the regions and culminates at the top of the ICANN board certification process at some point. The ASO, Address Council appointments two directors for the ICANN boards regularly and also fills our committees within ICANN, and of course the ICANN board can come to the Address Council to ask any questions about addressing policy, stuff like that.

The Address Council is consisting of 15 people in the Address Council, and I see that this was changed gently by my colleagues because this presentation comes straight from ARIN and had ARIN highlighted, I didn't know how to change it quickly this morning, because I just fell out of bed myself. Now, the RIPE NCC people highlight it, thank you very much for that. It sounds better. You might, if you are a little bit longer in this room, you might have been given cards to vote for Hans Petter's replacement on the RIPE NCC part here so, please do that this morning.

NRO finances. The idea is that we share the costs of proportional to something, registration services revenue. This will be, and of course it's interesting with us because we have to define what that is in the RIPE NCC region, but we are doing that, that's good.

The expense that is we have in the NRO is basically now there is one staff member, travel, as you imagine we do travel quite a bit, it's the Address Council, it's ?? and Herman, communications and outreach, printing of brochures and the like and collateral. And the big point here is contribution to ICANN which has been stable for I think ever really. $823,000 per year. A sizable amount for us. We are happy to give it to them, we they do good fork for us in the IANA, that's basically what this is for.

Any ICANN process, there are lots of checks and balances and processes for review. We have done one, or we have had one done on ourselves on the ASO as prescribed by the ICANN processes. A couple of years ago, a report has been published, please have a look at it, there were quite an am in of recommendations mainly around making it more easier to understand and what we are doing and how we are interacting with ICANN, we responded to that and well there are lots of these things continually ongoing. Have a look at the ASO website or the NRO website as well.

The IGF, yes, we are ?? it's a long process. We have always had some representatives on the multi?stakeholder advisory group of the IGF. Currently that's Rajoul, Paul and Paul. That might be confusing. The IGF is taking place as we heard next week, so, yes, we'll go there. We'll be busy. There was a slight situation with the financing of this year's IGF in Indonesia and we have agreed to accept up our contribution there a bit. There are lots of workshops going on, very, very many, it's a little bit confusion ifs you look at the schedule. The NRO contributes not to the confusion now, to the number of good workshops there, and of course IP address related things. We are being looked at as good examples of multi?stakeholder processes, so we talk about those. We have been talking about transparency in our process and the like previously.

So, it will be an interesting week.

Correspondence: Yes of course there are so many things going on in the world, big conferences and opinions out there, so occasionally we feel the need to contribute to that as well, and represent what we think is your ?? are your views. And please tell us if that's not the case. But basically defending the bottom up processes and multi?stakeholder and the like, there are many consultation that is we take part in.

Also, ICANN's regionisation ideas and the ICP 2 process that establishes new RIRs, as you might know, that is a very old thing that we all agreed on, still in place and very helpful to argue your way around regional needs and the like.

We are working together on the engineering side with IANA on the test bed for RPKI and all the website, all sorts of documents.

Other things. As you imagine, we sit together regularly at these meetings, but also occasionally the Executive Council goes away to retreats, just to get our heads around things that we always wanted to do and never had the opportunity to properly. We tend to fit them in with what we call the IS star group retreats, all sorts of organisations of the technical community in the space, ICANN, IANA, ISOC, the RIRs and W D3 as well. So we had one of those in Singapore and we are just a couple of weeks out of Montevideo, had one there, we have a number of coordination groups, new ones on IPv6 and registration services have been put into place. We do talk, as I said, with each other on the engineering level about things that we need to do together and RPKIs of course is the prime example there but there are also other things that we do.

ICANN discussions: Like I said, we do reply to any questions ICANN might have to us. And we have our own opinions also when they do things that we feel the need to quickly comment on.

We have sat and thought about what the NRO should do, would do, what does it mean to us so we came out with a new vision and mission statement there, so to be the flagship in global leader for collaborative Internet number resource management as a central element of an open, stable and secure Internet. It's our mantra. It's not the mantra for this year, it's ongoing, but it's new for this year.

So, actively contribute to an open, stable and secure Internet, through, providing, promoting and coordinating Internet registry system, being an authoritative advice on the multi?stakeholder model and bottom?up policy process in the Internet governance and coordinating and supporting joint activities of the RIRs in general, and you find all this on the NRO website.

If you have any questions, please, Herman's mail address is there and you know how to find me. Thank you.


CHAIR: Thank you, Axel. And next up we have the NRO statistics presentation from Ingrid Wijte from the RIPE NCC registration department.

INGRID WIJTE: Morning. My name is Ingrid Wijte from registration services and I'll be presenting this number report from the NRO.

It's updated quarterly by the four RIRs together and this version is from the end of September.

Looking at the total amount of v4 address space, 35 /8s are not available, these are been reserved by the technical community. 92 were issued before the RIR system was put in place. RIRs together hold 130 slateses. Out of which APNIC has 45, ARIN 5, LACNIC 9 and RIPE NCC 35. And IANA has no /8s left.

Here you can see that APNIC and RIPE NCC they are both below one /8 in their inventory. As we both ran out, our reached our last /8 in 2012.

AfriNIC has a little less than four /8s left. And ARIN and LACNIC both has a bit less than two /8s in their inventory.

How is this being issued to the members? You can see that the peaks in '11 and '12, and 2013 you can see that ARIN and LACNIC are roughly handing out the same amount of space so far.

And this is the amount of /8s that was handed out, RIPE NCC, APNIC almost everything we have. AfriNIC 3, LACNIC almost 9 and ARIN a little over 30 /8s.

Looking at ASN assignments. RIPE NCC is issuing most ASN assignments. You can see in 2013 that our growth has stopped, and actually has dropped a little bit. And we think this is due to the fact that we no longer have PI assignments. Before PI assignments, those usually went together with an AS number. So that explains part of the drop. And it shows that most of our AS numbers are now going to our new members, the new entrants.

And the total amount of ASNs that was handed out. ARIN issued 25,000, RIPE NCC leading with almost 28,000, APNIC almost 10, LACNIC 35 hundred almost and AfriNIC 1,000.

Looking at 4?byte ASN. LACNIC and RIPE NCC are doing especially good in this area, especially LACNIC who issued almost a third, I believe, of the ASNs are 32?bit so, that's pretty good and for RIPE NCC, again, our number has dropped a bit, which is also due to the fact that earlier this year we ran out of 4?byte ASN, so we had to revert back to issuing 16?bit by default, so that accounts for the lower number. We received new AS numbers since then, so now we are issuing 4 bites by default again.

The total for bites we issued over 3,000, LACNIC 1,000, which is ?? yeah, it is actually one third of the total ASN, we have about 3,000 what I mentioned earlier. AfriNIC issued 34 ASN 4 bites, APNIC almost 2,000 and ARIN 74.

Moving on to v6 address space. Each RIR received 1 /12 from IANA from which we are now allocating. And there is a steady growth trend in the v6 allocations. RIPE NCC again issued most blocks, and that growth is continuing.

And one thing I need to mention here is that this, these slides are very new and in this slide one error, the correct one will be published on but the number from APNIC should be a bit higher. They had a large block this year.

Total allocations issued. Over 6,000 from the RIPE NCC, AfriNIC a little over 300, LACNIC 1,600, APNIC and ARIN both a little over 2,000.

V6 assignments. The numbers are growing as well. RIPE NCC started issuing, or started appearing on this slide in 2009 when the PI policy came through and we started issuing PI assignments. And that growth trend is going steady.

And in total, we have issued 1,500, APNIC 600, AfriNIC 100, LACNIC almost 400 and ARIN 1,600 PI assignments.

Finally, looking at our membership, and we can see that in LACNIC and RIPE NCC, more than half of our membership currently holds both v6 and v4 and in the other three regions it's still below 50% of their membership.

The rough data can be found here and this presentation will be published there as well. I'll take any questions if there are any.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: Mikael Abrahamsson. I'm not that involved in this, how many who formally got PI are now becoming LIRs instead to get that /22? Since we stopped PI, how many people are become LIRs instead to get that /22 IPv4 space?

INGRID WIJTE: An exact number is not easy to give, but earlier we have shown that our membership is growing significantly and whether these new members would have joined as well if they would have been able to get v4 space PI, we can't fully tell, but yeah, I expect that there is quite a few organisations that joined in order to get their /22.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: Is this increase in your workload a lot because these people actually don't want to be LIRs, they wanted just the space so they are less proficient in actually dealing with RIPE?

INGRID WIJTE: Slightly. But the /22s, there is a bit less justification, they need to give, so it's not too complicated. They need to show a little bit use and they get it, so it's okay.


CHAIR: We are going to move on to the IANA update and we have got a new face in the crowd. It's her first RIPE Meeting, actually, and this is Selina Harrington, the IANA request analyst number 1.

SELINA HARRINGTON: That's right. This is my first RIPE Meeting, and before I give the update I just wanted to say how great it's been and what a pleasure it's been to meet a lot of you for the first time in person.

I'm going to cover four main topics today: portfolio management system, the contract deliverables, route KSK rollover and our external attempt.

When [Fauti] came on board about a year ago, one of the things that he realised needed improvement at ICANN was our operational excellence, and so implemented a management system that has allowed us as staff to internally track all of our work and it also allows high level reports to be produced. And this is also something that is now going to be visible to the IANA community. So, any of you if you log into my, you'll be able to see the workload that we have as a company and also the progress that we have been making on various objectives.

Next, I'd like to talk about contract deliverables and as you can see from this table, all of these we have already completed, so I'm not going to spend too much time on them. We have completed three consultations and we have also recently upgraded the rezone management system that we have that we call RZM, and if you are a ccTLD manager, you have probably interacted with RZM before, and in the past we were only able to lodge requests through RZM that were change requests for existing TLDs, redelegations, but we didn't have the capacity to use it for delegations of new TLDs or new ccTLDs, and now we can, so that was a big improvement.

On this one, you can see we have had a couple of reports that the monthly root zone management audit reports and performance standard reports. The first ones were due at the beginning of this month and we delivered those on time. The second line you can see we have a requirement for an external audit and we are currently in that audit period, and that report will be coming out early next year in February.

Based on the feedback that we got from the performance standards consultations, we now have some reports that we need to produce, and these next few slides are just some prototypes, but as you can see, we have been meeting our targets for the first reporting period. Again, here you can see this is for the number resource allocations that were made during that period and we met all of the targets for those. And we have also started reporting on a root zone management requests by the type of requests so the number of requests that have come in for each type of request and also the average processing time for each request, so you can see what the difference is between name server change requests versus DS records, data changes, contact changes, redelegations, all of that.

This one we have only completed the first one which is our monthly reports which are due every 15th of the month. We have been differing those on time. There are three other deliverables that are currently in progress and the one that I'd like to point out is the last one on the list, which is the customer service survey. How many of you will be in the near future probably receiving an invitation from us to fill out that survey and if you do receive it, please do fill it out. We'd like to get your feedback.

Another thing that's coming up pretty soon is the root zone KSK rollover. We have already had a consultation on this, and I believe we have received many comments and those are being evaluated as we speak, and over the next year ICANN is going to continue exploring this and if you have any expertise or any suggestions on how to move forward with the root zone KSK rollover, it's the first time we are going to be doing, it we want to do it correctly and if you have comments that you haven't submitted yet, please contact us and submit those, we'd love to hear what you have to say.

And finally, over the past four years, the IANA department has been participating in a business excellence project which is to improve our processes and our performance, how we perform as a department. And over the last few years, every January, we have had, our certain members of our team have participated in an internal assessment and after the internal assessment this year, they decided that they would take the next step and for the first time we would invite people from EFQM to our office. This happened in August, and we went through our first external assessment, which resulted in us being recognised as committed to excellence, which is great. It was our first time, this is the first rung on the ladder but there are a couple of levels above that that we are striving towards and we hope to keep improving and we'll reach the next levels the next time we go through an external assessment.

And that's it. That's all I have. Any comments or questions? Thank you.


CHAIR: Thank you very much, Selina. We are moving right along and I just wanted to repeat that this morning there is an election, the NRO NC seat for the RIPE NCC service region. The voting will go on till 10:45 this morning. We have one of our colleagues there, Suzanne, who is holding ballots, if you you haven't received one yet, feel free to pick one up. You can vote for one of the three candidates that are standing. The candidates' biographies are online, just check the RIPE 67 website.

And the ballot box is just outside the door.

With that, we move on to the RIPE PC elections, and at this point I am going to hand over the mic to Andrei Robachevsky from ISOC.

ANDREI ROBACHEVSKY: I was given this privilege because I am an appointed PC member. I represent ENOG, and therefore I'm not up for elections; ENOG elects me, that's why I'm here.

So, Filiz's term is up, and we have one vacancy, and, as it happens, this vacancy, we have one candidate, which is always Filiz. We at the PC wondered a bit why we didn't have any more candidates this time, and our theory is that there was just one place and maybe that kind of a little bit discouraged people to nominate themselves, or to nominate someone else so we'll try, we are thinking how to make kind of spread for equal, more spread over further elections, just to have maybe two seats every election, to have more stimulating environment. We have one seat, we have one candidate, and we can do a vote if it makes sense, but I think maybe we shouldn't. So, I'd like to ask a question: If people feel strongly that we need to vote which will be basically yes /no, raise your hands. If people don't feel we need a vote, then I suggest we declare victory and congratulations, Filiz, and thank you very much for running for the next term.

CHAIR: Thank you very much, Andre. And at this point that's all I have this morning for the first session. So, enjoy an early coffee break and we'll see you at the next session, and later this morning, we will, I think at the Closing Plenary, we will give the results of the elections from the NRO EC. Thank you very much.

(Coffee break)